Wednesday 8 April 2009

Guess What??

Where has the time gone since I last posted? I haven't a clue though we have been very busy getting ready for an old school friend of mine coming to visit. They were only here for a couple of days on their way through on holiday but it was lovely to see them. They haven't been here before so there was so much for them to see and good that they will get the before and after in a lot of the rooms. We are leaving for the UK tomorrow morning (Thursday) so that has kept us pretty busy as well, closing the house down and arranging for the looking after of Smokey and the ducks. Mostly though, our time is taken up looking at the ducks, they are so amusing and make us laugh a lot and guess what???........
By the time we get back from the UK, I could be a grandma to ducklings.... how cool is that? All the neighbours are on "duck watch" while we are away because while Poppy is sitting on her nest, Thomas stands guard on the wrong side of the hedge so he is in the road!!! We have tried herding him back but he just goes back there. I can't bear it, these children are such a worry aren't they? Surely he won't stand there during the night will he, can anyone answer that question for me? Deborah perhaps you will know. I just hope and pray he will stay on the pond during the night. Poppy has chosen a good place and is hidden, you just wouldn't know she was there unless you knew, she is amongst brambles.

Last week my sister sent me a "present" which came through the post. How lovely it is to get something unexpected in squishy jiffy bags. I opened it and it is 1 ball of wool, with 4 needles, double ended I have to say and a pattern. Now according to the pattern this ball of wool makes one pair of socks and a lovely little gift pouch to put them in. Oh how I could do with aims here because I have started these wretched socks quite a few times now and pulled them off the needles. I have NEVER knitted with more than 2 needles and never attempted socks or anything like that. and every time I got to the second "round" I had all the stitiches on one needle, how on earth do you join them up to make a round? It's beyond me I'm afraid. By the way, did you know that when you throw knitting wool out of the window in anger and frustration it doesn't make a noise :-) I will take it back to the UK and get some back up from there. They look beautiful but when I read the pattern and it talks about "grafting" the toe to finish off, I sort of go cold. I bet Hilary, my sister, is laughing her head off reading this, she found it quite easy so be ready for when I come back Hilary, I need you.

I will probably be quiet over the next couple of weeks though I will be reading everyone's blogs, you kind of get addicted don't you. Take care all of you and I will chat when I get back. I can't wait to see the family again, my mum and dad, my daughters and their husbands and of course the grandchildren, not forgetting my sister and her family, knitting needles at the ready. I will come back totally tired, knackered and happy with batteries re-charged. Happy Easter everyone, God bless.

5 comments:

dND said...

Hi Hazel, Sorry no idea what duck do at night. I always thought that they returned to a nest or equivalent at night.

I've seen floating retreats made from an anchored pallet buoyed with empty plastic canisters to give a safe area in the middle of a lake away from foxes, stoats and the like.

Re circular knitting from ages ago I think I just counted the number of stitches knitted and then changed needles. Not easy to explain so hopefully someone will be able to show you. I think it's one of those things that once you've done/seen it it will click (no pun intended :-) )

Have a great time with your friends and fingers crossed for fluffy ducklings.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Deborah x

aims said...

Hazel -

Have a search on line for a youtube video of people knitting with four needles. That is probably the easiest way to get an idea of what you are doing wrong. There are plenty of videos out there so you shouldn't have a problem. Same goes with the grafting.

As soon as you started mentioning it I immediately launched into knitting mode in my mind and of course I could easily teach you if I was over there on duck watch.

My question is this. How could you possibly leave when you might be grandduckparents soon? I just couldn't do it :0)

Safe journey friend.

Living the Dream said...

Deborah, thanks for the info, we have tried a pallet and we will again. As for the knitting, it has to be 4 needles, not a round one, no idea why.
aims: Oh how I wish you were here on duck watch. As you say, it isn't easy leaving them at all but we have superb neighbours and one of them is going to live in our house while we're away. My "human" grandchildren are calling me and that, at the moment, is a bit stronger :-) I will certainly look for a video. Never been on youtube, so a first time for everything.

Vixbil said...

woo hoo see you tomorrow
xx

apple tree quilter said...

OOOHH! Grand-Ducklings!!!! What fun. Be sure to send pics. Hope you have a wonderful Easter with the kids and grandkids! Ron and I will be celebrating alone. John has to work Saturday and Hannah and Robbin are in Japan for Hannah's 12th birthday with her Dad. I always say, maybe next year.