Wednesday 28 May 2008

Countdown to parent's arrival

Richard and I are now on countdown before we go back to the UK for a couple of weeks. We are going for various reasons, 1 - Richard has some dental work that needs to be completed, 2 - It is our daughter's birthday on the 14th and 3 - Our best friend's son's wedding on the 21st. After that we are back here and bringing my mum and dad with us and I am SO looking forward to it. At the moment we are trying to clear up and make it look presentable for them for when they arrive, because when you live in a "building site" for a long time, you don't tend to notice the plaster dust and bits and pieces until you know your mother is coming to visit!!!! All hell is let loose around here at the moment, and anything that stands still for just a while gets a dust, look out Richard. Having said that, it looks exactly the same again the next day and to be honest, my mum isn't going to say anything anyway. I just want it to look the best it can and I hope and pray she doesn't worry about the holes in the stairs and the plaster coming off the wall. Ooops, perhaps I should tell her about that?? No, she'll be fine. Dad has wanted to come out here for such a long time because he loves helping Richard and pottering about. He is 90 in August so we don't expect any heavy work from him, but he just likes to feel part of it and they work so well together. It gives dad a purpose. Mum called me the other day and asked if she needed to bring anything, like the porridge oats that dad has every morning. Bless her, I think even she is looking forward to it now and we didn't think we would EVER get my mum out here. Oohh I'm so excited.


I said I would take a photo of my basket so here goes, promise not to laugh. I know it has a "sticky out" handle, but I quite like that crooked bit and it gives it a bit of quirkiness and character. Now that it has dried out I need to give it a coat of linseed oil tomorrow and that should bring the colour out a bit more. As you can see, it holds our eggs without falling over!! I am going to pull some bullrushes from our pond tomorrow and hang them out to dry, then I can have another go at a basket with my mum when she is here, she will love that.
All we seem to be doing at the moment is mowing the lawn because the weather is warm and wet, and the weeds!!!!!...... What it will be like when we get back I haven't a clue. I could do with my friend Debra popping over to look after it for us! I know, a bit too far.. :-)
I have planted up some pots and tubs today and we are taking them round to a friend's house in the next village and they are going to water them for me, then when I give them a call to let them know we are on our way, they will bring them round and arrange them in the drive to greet mum and dad. How cool is that?
Well, I suppose I had better get on with some more clearing up and putting away and to be honest, I need to listen to the Archers, lots of catching up to do. Thank you to everyone who came by and commented on my last post, it is so good to have you all back again, I was worried I had lost everyone forever. Night night, talk again soon.

5 comments:

Clare said...

That is such a cool basket! The eggs look very happy
Take Care
Clare x

aims said...

Oh oh oh!!!! I love the basket Hazel!! That sticking out part makes it look so different and interesting and words I can't even think of at the moment! I'm really impressed! You did a fantastic job!

As for Mom and Dad...you know what you are saying is absolutely true. They won't care. Mom might say a few words here and there - but only as a suggestion - you know - in case you didn't notice or something...mom's can't help themeselves!!

So glad you are back my friend.

btw - went for my mammogram yesterday - and everything is fine. Thought of you and my friend while I waited for the all clear afterwards...In fact I came home and wrote a silly email to Stinking Billy and he posted part of it on his blog....you can click over to him from the links on mine if you want to read it.

Vixbil said...

Look at you you basket making momma
xx

Debra in France said...

I love that basket Hazel. You really are talented to do such nice, crafty things. You should see Hazels patchwork - it is stunning. I am so thrilled your parents are going to come over with you. You mum is very brave to make the journey, I am sure you will have a wonderful time with them.

I don't know how you have the energy to go back to the UK so often. This was my first trip back in 2.5 years, and it will probably be the same amount of time til I go again!

Living the Dream said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. The basket is OK, but when you look close, not so good, but hey it was my first attempt. Debra, I can't wait to get back to my quilting and I can now see the wall where my sewing cupboard is going to go. Will I ever get time to do any though??
aims, I love the word "interesting" for my basket. As for mum and dad, I can't wait, I hope we are going to have such fun. Well done on the all clear on the mammogram. I do hate them don't you, it's like having your breast slammed in a fridge door.
Thank you my girls, see you on Sunday Vicki and next week Clare. I love you.
Moomin
xxxxx