Sunday 25 May 2008

To Hell and Back

Gosh, how long has it been since I last posted?? As you can see by the title of the post, it hasn't been a particularly good time, lots of things going on and I couldn't get my head around the blogging. I had a horrid health scare which involved doctors, mammograms, ultra-sounds with those horrid words "Oh I don't like the look of that, do we have your permission to do a biopsy now while you're here". All this was back in the UK and we were coming back to France with my youngest daughter for her 2 week holiday on the Sunday and the biopsy was on the Wednesday. It was going to take a week to get the results!!! Do we go on holiday or not?? I decided yes, what the hell I was desperate for Clare to see our house, she has only had a flying visit of one night and that was soon after we bought it, so she hasn't seen any of the renovations yet.

Anyway, I had a call from the hospital on Monday evening and ALL IS WELL!!! I have to go back to be re-scanned in 6 weeks, but they say it is a cyst that had burst and they want to make sure all the "rubbish" has been absorbed. Now we can enjoy having our daughter to stay at our house. As it happened though, her husband wasn't too good and wanted to go home, so they only stayed for one week. I was very upset, but understood the reasoning behind him wanting to go home and at least I had Clare here for a short while.


When we turned up at the house in France I was amazed at how much Richard and our friends had done while I had been in the UK. It looks fantastic and they have made huge progress on the room. Still a lot to do, but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, while I was in the UK, my mum and dad have said they are coming back with us next time, so it will be so good to have them here for a while. Hopefully they will stay for the whole of July, I can't wait, we have so much we want to do with them and introduce them to our friends. I think also, it is going to be their 67th wedding anniversary while they are here, so we will have to have a party for them. That certainly is something to celebrate isn't it?



Before and after pictures!












Last Friday I went on a course for basket making. Not your usual kind of wicker basket, but all stuff you gather in the hedgerows and your garden. We spent the first hour of the class just walking around in woods looking for lovely shaped pieces of wood for handles etc and the actual weaving was done with bull rushes that had been dried over winter. You then soak them and use them. I ended up with a basket, I haven't taken a photo of it yet, but perhaps I will if you promise not to laugh!! After all, it is a first attempt. It was a really good fun day, a bring and share lunch with wine and the weaving after that seemed a piece of cake! Since this has been the first time I have posted for ages, I just hope I have some old friends popping back to see if I'm still around. I have to say a HUGE apology as well because I was given an award before all my troubles began and I haven't done anything about that, so I am really sorry, please forgive me, I was very honoured to receive it. I am now going to catch up on all my blogging friends and wish you all well. After reading one of my friends blogs, Big Blue Barn, my "Hell and Back" is NOTHING, so now is the time to forget and move on. Take care everyone and talk again soon.

6 comments:

Breezy said...

Welcome back. Thank goodness the health scare was only a scare

dND said...

Welcome back and I'm so glad that you got the all clear, it must have been so worrying.

How lovely to have had Clare for the week, I do hope her husband is feeling better too and that they will be back over sometime soon, maybe for a longer stay.

It's really great that your parents will be coming over too, I here so many people bemoaning that their parents have decided that they can't make or won't make the journey over and then miss out on sharing their children's lives.

I love the before and after pics too with the addition of those mud walls and beams, such a lot of work so well done to Richard.

That basket making course sounds really interesting so yes please, post those pictures :-D

aims said...

Ahh Hazel! At last! I am so glad you are back and safe. I have been worrying about you you know. I know how traumatic it was and have heaved such a huge sigh of relief that you don't have to go through the same thing as my dear friend in Virginia. Bless!

Now - what a ton of work they have done! It looks fantastic!! I bet you just walked around with wide eyes and a glad heart! Lovely my friend. Just lovely.

And please - do post a pic of the basket. We won't laugh. We'll be jealous that we weren't there with you having such a fun time!

And sweetie - Your scare is worth worrying about and feeling upset about. It all is. I'm not special at all.

I missed you.

(oh look! my word verification says woola...wow!)

Vixbil said...

Wow moomin, what a lot of work dad has done the house is amazing. I can't believe it looks so different.
xx
love you so much
xx

Debra in France said...

Hi Hazel, what a relief that you have got the all clear. You must have been worried sick.

I am so pleased that your parents are going to visit you. You must be thrilled and excited.

I would love to see a picture of your basket. We have no groups like that around here. I did go to a lacemaking group a few times, but it was at a really awkward time of day. One of the ladies says she will teach me at home as she lives in my village. It is just making an effort to getting round to it.

Great to hear from you again. Debra xx

Clare said...

the outside now looks great...with the "stuff" on it (can't remember the name..
As you know - Kenny is alot better - two weeks was just too much for the first time...we will get there and we are already talking about another visit
Love you
Clare