Sunday 8 June 2008

The Story of Og-Pog

Here I am at Clare's again so I thought I would just put a short post. As I have told you, we are staying with my mum and dad and when I left Vicki and the children, my little grandson asked me if he could have a red Og-Pog. What is an Og-Pog I hear you say? Well, I knitted him a little blanket and on this blanket was a pocket in which fitted a knitted teddy. Very, very basic, almost to being quite ugly, but he LOVED it; it was in brown and at the moment, his favourite colour is red, so he desperately wanted a red one. I bought the wool and then found that I have left the pattern in France!!!! Catastrophy!! I went to the shop where I had originally bought the book with the blanket patterns in and found the book. It is £6, so I really didn't want to buy another one, especially as I wouldn't be knitting any more blankets. I told the lady in the shop my problem and showed her the little pattern of the teddy and asked if she had anything similar. The answer of course was no, they were far more sophisticated and she was very apologetic that she couldn't photo copy it for me. I quite understood and then started planning the next plan of action. While I was deliberating, this lovely lady came and handed me a piece of paper and a pen and said, " I didn't just do that" and walked away. How cool was that? The next few minutes was spent busily scribbling down the pattern and I came away a very happy bunny.

When I arrived back home, I showed William the red wool and he was so excited and he wanted me to start it now!! Of course I couldn't because I hadn't got any needles with me so I needed to get to my mums and do it there. All he could say was, "Please Nannie, please, can't you do it with your fingers?" You could try. Now I am at my mums and it is time to knit the little Og-Pogs. As you can see, I am getting rather carried away now and have done a couple for the girls.
Mum, Dad, Richard and I have just enjoyed a lovely meal at Clare's. Mum always says she loves coming here because, with Clare and Kenny being trained chefs, the food is always superb.
While staying at mums, in the evenings, they put food out for the fox, (not very popular with the neighbours I expect) but oh how fascinating to watch them. A couple of them arrive at about 9.15pm and we watch them for about 15 minutes. They are very nervous which surprises me because you would think they would know they are on to a good thing. Here are these two people who go out and buy tins of dog food and put it out for them every night and welcome them into their garden, what is there to be nervous about? Mum and dad sit in darkness in their dining room just waiting for them to arrive and are thrilled to bits when they trot in. We are sure they have babies at the moment, so let's hope they won't be too disappointed while mum and dad are in France with us. Mum is busy planning what to pack and we are now counting the days off the calendar to when we leave. All Richard and I can think about is the height of the grass and weeds!! The neighbours did say they would mow it for us, let's hope they do.
Well, back off to mums again now, I will post again when I get near a computer.

7 comments:

aims said...

Can't you use your fingers? How cute! How desperately cute!

Hazel - you sound very relaxed these days. All this family socializing is very good for you. You are so lucky to be able to do that still.

My mind is its usual sieve - when was the rescan?

Vixbil said...

Wow, how cool Bubbs will be sooooo excited
xx

Debra in France said...

Careful Hazel, we will all want Og-Pogs!!!

Living the Dream said...

Hi aims, the re-scan is on the 25 June. Being a knitter, can you knit with your fingers??? :-)

Debra, if you want an Og-Pog, I would be only too happy to knit you one, in purple of course.

Vicki I will be there on Wednesday with a bag full of Og-Pogs. xxxx

Debra in France said...

Hazel I would love an Og-Pog!!!!!

Hope all is well with you all, good luck with for the 25th I will cross everything for you, even though it will make walking a bit tricky!

I really hope that I can get down to see you this year. love to you and Richard. Debra xx

Vixbil said...

Thanks so much for such a great visit yesterday with everyone. The children adore their Og Pogs and Bubbs slept with his 2 last night.
PS you are amazing, you have no idea how lovely it was coming home to my ironing being done especially when I was up from 1am till 5am with Jim Jam and Moodle
xx

aims said...

Okay Hazel. I've waited long enough for another post from you - or at least an email.

What is going on?