Tuesday 14 October 2008

Bonjour mes amis

Hello again. Now what can I talk about today? I will firstly show you some photos that I have taken, of various things because we have been flitting from job to job. First one is of this beautiful little lizard we found when we were digging over our little vegetable plot. I haven't seen one like this before. The line down the centre of his back was really very red. I will also show a photo of the squashes we have, quite a few of these red ones (kuri squash). Not a clue what to do with them so if anyone has cooked them before I would love to know. Also, while we were digging over the little plot, Smokey thought we hadn't got quite enough "manure" in there so he gave us a hand, or is it a paw? My leeks are doing really well and on Monday, at the market we bought some greens so they have gone in today. It will be interesting to see how we get on.

Today saw another french lesson and my goodness this was hard. We had to make up names and pretend we were going on a flight so had to give and spell our names and flight numbers and seats. Richard and I thought we would choose our family names, so I chose my eldest daughter's name, BIG mistake as it has 16 wretched letters in it, and Richard chose our youngest daughter's husband's name and we weren't sure how to say a double "n". We got through it and we learned a lot, but ..........

The weather here has been glorious, misty in the morning and a bit chilly but really warm during the day, so just perfect. Tomorrow sees Richard out helping a friend put a ceiling up in his barn so I will be doing a bit of cooking ready for the sewing group who are meeting at our house this week. I can finally show them my sewing room and if the weather is kind to us, it will be nice and warm because of the big windows. That's it for now, talk again soon.

8 comments:

softinthehead said...

Oh Hazel I do envy your gentle lifestyle, lizards, french lessons and all. Sigh!! one day....

aims said...

It is a lovely gentle lifestyle as SITH says. Sounds divine and happy. Contentment is so obvious.

It must be wonderful to have your dream coming true.

Have fun with your sewing class and showing off your new room! What fun that will be.

Vixbil said...

What lovely comments you have today. I can't believe you used my full name...argh
love you guys
xx

Clare said...

Hey - cute lizard.
Smoky looks the most content I think - he has really settled in!
Love you
Clare
xx

dND said...

Hi Hazel - I'm still around but finding posting a bit tough at the moment. Never mind, it will pass.

Isn't the lizard thing cute - I have at least one that overwinters in the barn and I think it's either a female or juvenile Marbled Newt.

I am always amazed by the wildlife I find around here, I think it has something to do with having the time to look and see - something that I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to do.

Vicky T said...

Hi Hazel
Squash is a bugger to peel so I roast it in the ovenw a le oil brushed on and some brown sugar to make it extra sweet for 1/2 hour then cut the skin away - yummy.

Its great for soups (a bit of cumin, ginger and chilli gives it zing!) and adding to casseroles / stews really bulks out and sweetens - and guess what - no points - vixbil will be pleased when you next do the cooking!

Vicky T

Living the Dream said...

Hi everyone,
SITH - Yes I do make it sound a gentle lifestyle, but some days I am running around like a blue-arse fly not knowing what job to do next. We can do them in our own time though and that makes the difference.
aims - We are living our dream but oh! how I miss my children, so it's not the perfect dream. Sewing group here this afternoon, Thursday, so I am just off to flick the duster round and do some baking.
Deborah - Thanks for the information on the newt. Now I look at the photo, of course it's a newt, how exciting, I love them. I hope the chickens are OK but keep the tweezers to hand.
My beautiful girls - Thank you for keeping up with your mother's antics. I love you.
Vicki T. Thank you for still reading my blog. About time you did one isn't it? I will let you know about the squashes and I may bring one home in December. I hope you and the children are well.

apple tree quilter said...

I am so jealous of your long growing season. We have already had two hard freezes, so annual flowers and the garden are finished. The days are warm, but nights are very cool.

Ron and I love the odd animals we find also. Last fall we found a salamandar while we were painting out buildings. They usually stay around damp places, so we can't figure how he stayed here since it was a pretty dry summer.

Comment'allez vous? I think that's right, but it's been an eternity since I spoke any French. I can still sing the national anthem, so all is not lost! Shar