Thursday 2 October 2008

Oh to be Quilting Again

How very exciting to be able to write about quilting again. It seems such a long time ago that I mentioned anything about my hobby. The last couple of nights has seen me at my sewing cupboard in "The Den" (My daughter has named the room) and I have finally started another block for my quilt. If you remember, I am making a celtic knot design and I thought I would rave about the gadget that I use to make the bias tape. How easy it makes it.

The photos show the cut fabric being put into the gadget, then you pull it through and it folds into itself, you then iron as you pull the fabric through and you end up with a bias tape that you can make beautiful patterns with. I love doing this and find it very relaxing, though I think I won't hold my breath waiting for the quilt to be finished!! Well, it's time for the Archers so I will say night night, talk again soon.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Hazel. I love "the gadget" as well! I add one more step, paper backed glue strip. Then I create my design with many many pins, and when I'm happy, I simply glue it in place with the iron and a narrow zigzag with invisible thread and it's done! I love celtic designs and I have managed to find quite a few to play with. Enjoy!
Lurking Linda
stoleequilts@gmail.com

apple tree quilter said...

How clever you are! I haven't tried anything celtic yet, but have it on my list. I have used the paper backed glue strip. I prefer a brand, Steam-a-Seam II. Because when you attach the first side to the back of your material and cut out the piece. Then pull off the second paper, the glue is a little sticky, so you can place the piece to make sure you have it in the right position or move it as necessary and then iron it on. I used it on that desert piece I did in 2007. I have a class on stencils and sponges this weekend. Will let you know how it goes and send pix, too.

Vixbil said...

I don't know anything about your sewing but the gadget does look very cool
xx

aims said...

I have some of those for making braided rugs with! They sure come in handy.

Glad you are finally back at your hobby. It always leaves us with such a lovely feeling at the end of the day if we even get a few minutes of it in before we have to quit.