Wednesday 18 February 2009

"D" Day is coming ... Ducks

Since I last posted, Spring has come, gone, come back again and is now teetering on the edge somewhere. The day after I mentioned SNOWdrops this is what happened. Everything looked beautiful of course, including this wonderful iris, bless it and it is still going strong. The trouble is the ground is now so waterlogged we can't do anything. I stood on the lawn and you can see what happened, I thought I was going to sink, my poor wellies were going deeper and deeper. Having said that, it is beginning to get better, sun is warm though there is a biting wind which chills you through, the answer is to stay in the sunshine.

Richard has been busy getting ready for the three ducks a friend is giving us. For people who know about these things, they are call ducks and are so cute, I can't wait. I asked my 3 grandchildren to name them, we have 2 males and 1 female, which I realise might prove a problem but we will cross that bridge when we get there; anyway, Vicki called this morning and said the children had the names ready, wait for it........ Thomas, Poppy and Duck. You have to remember that the twin girls are only 2 so they chose Poppy and Duck. I love the names and wouldn't change them for anything. You can see the floating raft that Richard has built for them, this way they can get away from predators. It's brilliant and is attached on both sides of the pond so we can reach it whenever the need arises. We have made a feeding station for them and they will be shut in there for about 3 days so they know where they live and who is feeding them. This is all so new to us, to please keep your fingers crossed for us. Later on in the summer when the pond has considerably gone down, Richard is going to sink 4 posts in it and build a house with a ladder, keep them nice and snuggly.
Over the last couple of days I have been busy making some tulips, I know this sounds strange, but it's all to do with quilting and craft etc. Cut flowers in France are really a No No because they are so expensive, it is one thing that I really miss, I always had fresh flowers in the house in the UK. Anyway, they are nearly finished and I will take a photo of them and post them later on in the week. I hope you like them.
We are both wondering what to do in March because it is our 40th (Ruby) wedding anniversary and we feel we should celebrate it in some way. The problem is, I don't really want to do anything without my family around me. I could get quite depressed about it. I think we shall just wait and have a party when we go back to the UK. If only I could win the lottery, I would fly them all out so we could celebrate in style. Ho Hum ..... dream on. Perhaps I should buy a ticket first.

2 comments:

aims said...

I had the opportunity to buy a ticket the other day and I passed - thought - I'm just wasting my money on that - making someone else rich. I don't have any luck like that at all.

I love the idea of the ducks Hazel. How lovely that will be to see them swimming around and listening to them.

apple tree quilter said...

Now we have one more thing in common, our husbands are raising fowl!!! Will you get any eggs from them or will you get ducklings? We don't have a rooster, so we only get eggs.

Hannah has been here all week and what fun we've had. Tom and Robbin were also here for a few days. I know, our funny family! But what the heck, Tom's always going to be Han's Dad. And we still love him.