Sunday 17 May 2009

Warm weather and flowers

The weather here has been glorious for the past few days and when we walk out of the door into the garden, firstly there is the wonderful smell of the philadelphus (orange blossom), and then you are aware of the quite loud buzzing and you realise it is all the bees in the acacia trees because the blossom has just come out on those and again, they smell pretty good. Everything in the garden is really coming on, the roses, all the trees are out and the fruits are appearing on the trees, in fact, there are some cherries that will soon be ready for picking. Very strange, I never thought I would ever be able to talk about picking my own fruit etc. yet here I am planning my chutneys and jams for this year. Also Vicki and the grandchildren are coming out and hopefully they will be able to pick the figs, peaches etc to eat straight off the trees. Poppy has given up on her nest so we think this year we won't be duckling grandparents. Should she lay again, we may take the eggs away and incubate them ourselves. We'll see. She is very young yet, not a year old until July so there is time. It's probably for the best, but still a shame I was really looking forward to having little babies.

On my last post I said I would post a picture of my socks. There hangs a tail....or not... I wish I had taken a photo of them now because when I took them to our little sewing group to get advice on how to graft the toe (you see I had got quite a long way) there was something that was not quite right so we had to unpick a few rows, then a few more, then a few more, and wouldn't you know it, the WHOLE DAMN LOT was unpicked and I was left sockless. I was absolutely gutted as I really don't know what I had done wrong. So Hilary (dear, dear sister who I love loads and who sent me the wool, pattern and needles) I am really sorry to have let you down. Helen has now taken them home and she is going to knit them for me, BUT, I have another ball of wool and I have started again on another pair, I'm not going to be beaten. I will go as far as turning the heel, then sit with Helen and she can see exactly what I am doing. I am determined to have a pair of socks that I have knitted myself. I have actually taken a photo of the ones I'm doing now so I may post it next time. It is so hard knitting with so many flaming needles but I suppose I will get used to it. If Hilary and Mum and are reading this they are probably having a little giggle by now.

I have copied out the next celtic design onto my block so I will soon be starting that. I can't wait, I don't seem to have done quilting for quite a time and I do miss it. I need now to cut out the bias and get that all prepared ready to stitch on, I have chosen the fabrics so it should be all systems go.
Well, it's time for our hot milk and honey (with a little whiskey) and off to bed for a read of our books. Market day tomorrow so we will be up quite early, something we have got out of the habit of...He! He! Talk again soon.

5 comments:

Vixbil said...

love you
xx

aims said...

Oh Hazel! Blogger doesn't always update when you have posted so it might have looked like I wasn't visiting anymore - but that is not true!

Sorry to hear about no little goslings. Maybe next time. Smokey looks adorable! And so big!

Glad to have caught up on all the news....and too bad about the sock. You can make them on 2 needles you know!

Living the Dream said...

I haven't seen a pattern for 2 needle socks but I will certainly look for one. I just can't get the hang of these 4 needles. I won't be beaten though, I'm still trying. Thanks aims for calling by, i think of you every time I knit :-)

Debra in France said...

Hi Hazel, I was so looking forward to seeing duckling photos. I can't believe how much you grandchildren have grown, where has that time gone?

I didn't know that Clare and Kenny were moving to Penzance! Gosh that will be a long trek for you when you go to visit.

Penny, who does the Violet White blog on my blog list knits loads of socks. You could email contact her for help on grafting toes. I have never been tempted to have a go at socks, far too complicated for me.

Glad you are all well and happy. Love and hugs Debra xxx

apple tree quilter said...

Gorgeous picture. You're at least a month ahead of our weather. My peonies are buds starting to open and my lilacs just finished blooming. Need to water as we've been gone for two weeks. Going plant shopping with Korey this weekend, so I can get planters and hanging pots going.