Wednesday 20 January 2010

Things I've been doing

Not a lot of chatter today, I just thought I would show you a couple of things I have been working on and some I have finished, which is very unusual for me because I have so many UFO's. The chairs - we found quite a few of these in our barn when we bought the house and I thought it would be a good idea to learn how to re-seat them so I went to a class with my friend Clare, who speaks french. To be honest, not speaking the language very well, it was hilarious and I soon learnt when the tutor said, in french, "Stop you fool, you are doing it wrong". That's how I understood it anyway, she didn't really call me a fool, I just felt it. It was a brilliant class and I learned a lot but having said that, I'm not sure I could do one on my own, the starting off is very, very difficult, so I would need another lesson. The end result though, for a first attempt, I was really pleased with. Richard had to go in my place for the last lesson because I was in the UK and he enjoyed it as well.




As for the socks, while I was in Penzance with Clare and Kenny over Christmas, I think I said in my last post that there is this wonderful wool shop. Well the assistant in there said she had found a pattern for knitting socks on 2 needles and it was easy.............. Not for me it isn't but I have now completed one and I am rather pleased with it. Now half way through the next one so hang on for a while Clare they should be with you in a couple of weeks. I suppose I was a bit naive because I didn't realise there would be so may seams and I hope they aren't uncomfortable when you put your shoes on. I have sewn them as flat as I can. Has anyone else knitted socks on 2 needles? I have to say, knitting them on 4 needles, although more difficult for me, they are a much better looking sock.

Well I think that will do for today, seeing as I said there would be no chatter. Will let you know how I get on. Take care everyone. Love to all my family and friends who take the time to read this.











5 comments:

apple tree quilter said...

Wow, your chair is wonderful. I often wondered how the pattern was made. I have always admired people who could knit socks. I was only ever able to do a sweater and now that it's been twenty years since I did that, it would be starting over.

Vixbil said...

The chair is great and I love the Sock
xxx

aims said...

I think the chair looks fabulous as well as the sock.

I knit my socks flat - so yes - 2 needles. Then I graft the toe together as I leave the stitches open so I can do that. That way there aren't any stitched seams to walk on. Then one side seam.

People love them and they knit up really quickly. Well for me anyway.

Clare said...

Yay - looking forward to a little parcel soon!!

Living the Dream said...

Hi Sharlene, I am very pleased with the chair, I just wish I could speak the language so I could have asked a lot more questions!! The socks aren't easy I have to say but I enjoyed doing them and Clare is looking forward to receiving them. Let's hope they fit!!
Hi aims. I did manage to graft the toes so I was really pleased with myself, it's a very neat way of doing it. Just wasn't sure about the seam from the heal to the top of the sock at the back and then 2 seams on the top. Inside out, it looks like a moccosin. Is that like yours?