Wednesday 3 February 2010

Cat's cradle/bed socks

I am not allowed to mention the fact that I don't have much to say, on strict instructions from my girls, because when I do I tend to ramble on a bit, so now I will start my ramblings. Really it is just to tell you how clever my little kitten Sophie is, as you will see from the first photo, she is taking serious note on how to knit.

Once she had mastered the technique she thought she better have a go at getting the knitting pins in the correct position, this took a little more effort and drove me insane as you can imagine.

There was more than one time when I was busing knitting away and suddenly, whoosh! the damn needle had been whipped out of my hand and into her little paws. She is very quick. Look at her, butter wouldn't melt would it? So after a few days, look at what WE have achieved, isn't she clever?

These are now winging their way over to Vicki, so I hope they fit you OK and keep your feet nice and warm when you are out walking Mabel in your wellies.

Now, can someone answer a question that came to mind, and I'm sure the person to answer it will be aims. When knitting socks on 4 needles, you only use the knit stitch, because you are knitting on the outside of the sock, though it looks like pearl on the inside. I don't quite know how this happens but is this where the words "stocking stitch" came from??

Well the lovely sunny weather is calling so I am going outside for a while. Thanks for stopping by and hello to all my family and friends again, especially the Smith family who I don't see very often. I hope all is well with you and that school/college is going well for Briony, Jess and Charlie. Pete, you shouldn't work so hard, take some time to stop and smell the flowers and Tracy, let me know when you get fed up with your handbags and throw them in my direction!!

4 comments:

aims said...

I'm not sure Hazel but I did find this interesting bit of information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_knitting


It does mention knitting on 4 needles and calling it stockinette....I think you might have something going there.

Living the Dream said...

wow aims that was quick, nearly as quick as Sophie stealing my knitting :-)

Vixbil said...

No Tracy send them my way!!!!

Can't wait to get the socks...love you moomin
xxxx

apple tree quilter said...

Gorgeous yarn! Lucky you Vicki! Sophie is really sweet. Our cats also love to get involved with yarn. Something about it moving as you work.