Monday 28 January 2008

I mustn't get disheartened

Hi everyone,

I have got over my excitement of receiving all my lovely comments and I thank you for telling me how to get the links to other blogs. As you can see from my posting today, I haven't managed it. This will be a short post because I know there is a sledge hammer close by and this computer may just have the feel of it :-) I thought I would show you the before and after pictures of the walls in our kitchen. You will see from the first one that it was just plain lumpy lime plaster and when we took this back to smooth it off a bit, the second picture is what we found underneath. Obviously we treated all the wood, then filled and lime washed in between the timber. The timber work is called colombage and we were so thrilled to find it, a real bonus. Also, because this colombage is in the kitchen, it must also go up the stairs onto the landing as well, so that is going to be a HUGE task when we come to do that, but it will look fantastic. This was a really gloomy room and I didn't like it at all but now we have this feature wall it has made all the difference. I wonder what other treasures we will find hidden in this house.

Today was a major one for us because we obtained french number plates for our car. Doesn't sound much does it, but somehow it is quite scarey. We needed to do this because of insurance coverage and we are in France now more than we are in England so it needed to be done. How strange to see our english car with french number plates.

We were watching a Hen Harrier Hawk in the garden this afternoon. Quite amazing and the agility of this bird was incredible. I think it was a Hen Harrier, judging by my book. Our deer were back this morning as well, I hope they keep their heads down when the hunters come out. Actually I would go out and scare them away, the trouble is, when they are running away, they have the most beautiful white patch on their bottoms which can be seen from quite a distance.

4 comments:

aims said...

Oh My! What a beautiful discovery!! Well done!

dND said...

That looks really lovely.

My place is much more utilitarian. Just lime plaster over rubble walls. Where I've dared to peak under the plaster I've found things like holes plugged with corn on the cob husks!

The deer are either Sika or Roe (Chevreuil). I find that the ones by me can tell which day of the week it is and keep a low profile on the weekends when the hunt is about.

There's something therapeutic about lime wash I think, it's easy to put on and easy to clean off things you don't want it on, do you find the same?

farming-frenchstyle said...

Love your blogs. I, too, love the wildlife. We have a fox about, which makes all the dogs bark at night, and our birds are lovely. There is a heron which visits our pond, and a pain in the bum wagtail which insists on going to the toilet on the van and the car. I'm not sure sure whether it is feeding on the bugs or trying to get in to nest, either way it annoys me. Keep blogging.

Debra in France said...

Hi Hazel, Well done on your blog, and thank you so much for putting a link to mine. I saw 2 deer on the way to work this morning, just standing by the side of the lane. Gorgeous. And best of all I saw 'new laid lambs' looking all snowy white next to their mums!