Tuesday 22 April 2008

R and R in abundance

I haven't posted for a while again because I just feel whatever I write is going to be so boring, so I am even more grateful for the award I was given from Deborah of From Here to Eternity. Thank you very much, I feel honoured.

The days are passing very quickly even though they are not jam packed with building, gardening housework etc, except via the telephone with Richard. Bless him, he is doing so well and it sounds as though the room is coming along nicely. The windows are in and the electrics are now going in, so there is going to be such a change when I get back. He will be coming back here to the UK in the first week of May and then I will be going back with him, with our daughter and her husband and I can't wait to show Clare what we have been doing. She has only seen the house once and that was quite a while ago and she was only there for a night, so we are going to have lots of fun during their visit. I can't wait :-) It will be good to hear the sound of the toads and frogs again, and the cuckoo which we don't seem to hear in this part of the UK. I think I have probably missed the tamarisk in bloom but hopefully there will be lots of other shrubs and trees out. We have a couple of acacias, which, when they are in blossom, the perfume fills the garden.

I have nearly finished the book Divas Don't Knit by Gil McNeil, and it really is a very good read. Very light and I can relate to so much of it, as I'm sure a lot of mums will. I know it has taken me a long time, but I am a slow reader and to be honest, I feel too guilty to sit and read for the whole day. Why, I have no idea but there you go, it's in-built.

It's my sister's birthday tomorrow so I am hoping to go and see her and take her present. As you know I have this brilliant book called 25 bags to knit, well, I have found this lovely book by a different author, called 25 cushions to knit and it has some very attractive cushions in there. Would you believe they are using Rowan wool again, but I will tell my sister that perhaps she should use an alternative. Good advice from aims, I should have listened the first time!! By the way, I did hear back from Rowan and they say their rule is 2-3 knots per ball of wool, and although that doesn't help me with my beading project, I'm pleased they replied. No parcel of wool arriving though!!!!
Well I think it is time I made my children a cup of tea and get my book out. Actually it is Clare's book and she is itching to read it now, so I better get a move on. Talk to you all again soon.

3 comments:

Vixbil said...

Hey moomin, miss you! I'm only half way through Divas but it is really good. Hope you get to see Auntie H tomorrow and have a good day. Hope you are enjoying the sunshine today too.
Maybe see you soon,
xx
PS, I love the pillow book more than the bags I think hint hint

aims said...

So here's the trick when substituting one yarn for another. Just find something that knits up the same per square inch - or as the balls have on them - per 4 inches...and that's it! The other thing you might want to keep an eye on is the yardage. If it doesn't say on the ball of wool - ask the vendor - they should have a chart of how much yardage each type of wool has that they carry.
You want to make sure you have enough yardage to finish the project. Not all balls of wool have the same. In fact - acrylic yarn has far more yardage than wool..it is lighter so it takes more to weigh 50 grams.

Also yarn that is textured with slubs etc..has far less yardage...

Again - if you need more help with this - email me Hazel! I am always happy to help!

Did you figure out how to knit in beads without threading them onto the yarn? It is so easy - much easier than the threading!

:0) Happy knitting!

softinthehead said...

Hi Hazel I have just been catching up with everyone after my trip to France, very envious that you will be returning in a few weeks! Just reading your blog and aims comments is inspiring me to get back to knitting. I only ever knitted jumpers but the cushions and bags sounds like fun and simple so maybe I will start there - thanks for the inspiration! :)