Friday 18 April 2008

Time on my Hands

I feel very guilty having this time on my hands. It's strange isn't it, it's what we all would like and then when you get it you feel guilty and don't know what to do with it. I have had a wonderful time sitting up in Clare's office while she is working and I have been reading a book. It's called Divas don't Knit and so far, it's a very good read. A few naughty words, but then it's quite difficult to find books without those nowadays.

Also I have been knitting but not getting on as well as I should have done. The trouble is, I bought some very expensive wool that the pattern for my bag asked for, Rowan, and I started the bag with beads. I did the back which was plain and then I started the front. I have never knitted with beads before so after looking at the instructions I threaded the beads onto my yarn and started knitting. How disappointed I was to get 12 rows in and finding a huge knot in the yarn. I am using Rowan Big Wool so there is NO WAY I can push the beads over the knot. What do you do then?? You are completely stuck. I sent an email to Rowan but have received no reply and I went back to the lovely wool shop today and asked if she would give the feedback to Rowan for me. She was brilliant and very helpful, which is more than can be said for Rowan because she said they wouldn't bother replying, they don't even reply to her. How bad is that? The answer they give is, in the UK, it is acceptable in the industry to have 5 knots in a 100g ball of wool. Personally, I think that stinks. I am so discouraged by this because the bag is lovely and it was going to look very good with the beads.

Meanwhile I fiddled about making a little flower. This will be needed for my new bag as you can see in the photo. Clare wanted to try various small projects that can be finished quickly so I tried it out first. It's very quick and can be used as a brooch. While I was knitting Bilbo came up and of course was giving me a helping hand. Cats always like to be in on everything don't they, the thing here is, not to have the wool draping over your leg. Ouch!! After I had made that I sorted out the other wool for another bag, this one is really pretty and let's hope the wool hasn't got too many joins in it. I hope that when I am ready to post again, there may be something nearly finished to show you.
I have spoken to Richard today and he is getting on very well with the house though he wishes I was there to make some of the decisions about where to put electrics and things like that. We did discuss it when I was there, but you know what it's like, and he hates working without me there. I did offer to go back now, but he says no, so Richard, when you read this, I know you will make all the right decisions and I love you for staying there and getting the room ready for our family.

4 comments:

Debra in France said...

Hi Hazel, How infuriating for you! Isn't is awful that they are happy to make and sell the wool (rowan, that is) but not care about feedback or even to have to courtesy of responding.
I would love to start knitting again, but I always had my mum around to help me if I got stuck, and I don't think OH would be much good, do you? I knit with the wool in my left hand, whereas most people have it in their right hand, so my stitches are back to front!

aims said...

okay girl - I have a few suggestions and a question.

Did they suggest in the pattern how to knit in beads?

Now - As I do most of my knitting on knitting machines - except for the bears these days anyway - I have to wind and wax the wool beforehand. Knitting machines will not knit knots and you can easily break the needles with a knot.
So - I'm suggesting buying a cheap wool winder. That way you can cut the wool at the knot. Cost here for a wool winder - around 30$.

I refuse to have knots in my knitting - so I just leave the ends hanging at the sides and sew them in later.

Now - my suggestion is to rip back the row. Cut the yarn at the knot and start again.

Also - knitting in beads does not have to be done by threading the beads onto the wool. You can knit them in at each stitch - it only means that they drop down a row.

Email me if you want sweetie...there's a place on my blog to do so. (wish I was there to help)

And oh btw!! As I said before - the name Rowan is just a name. Tons of other wools can be substituted for a cheaper price. They often have lovely colors blended together - but so do other companies.

When I owned my wool store - 3 knots in 100 grams was the accepted amount. Anything over that was considered a 'second' and was sold as such. It is really hard not to get a knot in wool. Acrylics can go on forever without a knot because of the simple fact that they are acrylic - man made. Mother nature has flaws and is proud of it!!

Vixbil said...

How annoying about the wool, but just read Aims comment, how useful is she! Wow is there anything she can't do, I really must read her blog! Love you lots and hope you enjoy your time doing nothing because you will soon be back her being woken early and through the night tee hee
xx

dND said...

Hi Hazel,

I have an award waiting for you over on my site if you'd like to come over.

All the best,
Deborah