Saturday 12 July 2008

Goodbye Little Friend

Very sad today because we have lost our little Marmalade, the cat we inherited with our french farmhouse. We don't know exactly how old she was, but the neighbours seem to think she could have been about 17, and all I can say is, we gave her the best we could in the 3 years we have had her. We have given her a couple of operations for cancerous teats, and she was always wormed and front-lined for ticks and fleas. I am happy to say we never found a tick on her so we were much luckier than my friend Debra. I have a photo of her here soon after we arrived and we were "camping" indoors and it shocked me to see how healthy she looks, very different from the last few weeks. Animals seem to know don't they because she hasn't eaten for 5 days and she kept going off and hiding. We did think about taking her to the vet, but I would have hated her to die on me while battling to get her into her carry box. Very hard to watch, but much better it was done nature's way. If only they could speak, she could have told us so much about this house and the people who lived here before us. Goodbye little friend, only known for a short time, but loved just the same.

6 comments:

softinthehead said...

Hazel - you gave Marmalade a happy ending!

dND said...

Oh Hazel, I'm so sorry to hear about Marmalade but as SITH said she had a happy ending and would have really appreciated having the safe and loving home you gave her. I know the words are of little comfort at the moment and the pain of losing a loving friend is sharp, I still shed a tear or two for Mr Tibbs.

Deborah x

aims said...

Oh Hazel! My heart aches for you. I think Marmalade waited for you to get home so you could be together one more time and your presence brought contentment and the ability to give in.

You know how emotional I get about pets and animals...so I'm giving you a hug and need one back just as much - for Marmalade.

Vixbil said...

Bless, so sorry moomin. At least she had a great couple of years with you being loved and looked after
xx

Racheal Miles said...

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about marmalade.
I found your blog whilst surfing and I will be visiting again.

Racheal x

Debra in France said...

Hazel, I am so sorry. She has had a wonderful 3 years with you a Richard, she was greatly loved and I know how much you will miss her. Lots of hugs, Debra xxx