Tuesday 22 July 2008

Smokey - Settled in Nicely

Oh my goodness, this beautiful little boy has come into our lives and it seems as though he has been here for ever. I will show you a photo of how settled he is and how much my parents have taken to him, not only us. He just melts your heart. It seems there is no-one in the village who has lost him and I have been to the vet and nothing there either, so fingers crossed, he will soon be ours. I daren't raise my hopes just in case. We are waiting to have him neutered (or is it spayed) because we don't want to spend out the money just yet, in case he is claimed. He uses his dirt box all the time, even when he has been outside all day, so we are thinking he may have been a house cat, he is so loving and so trained. Very strange, but very lucky for us. By the way, does anyone know if there is a way we can age our cat, I am guessing he will be about 9 months, but it would be good if we could age them with their teeth perhaps like a horse!!

Also this week, we had some friends come over because they wanted to pull some bull-rushes out of our pond as they wanted to dry them for making more baskets. It was quite good fun getting them out of the pond and Richard was up to his hips at one time. Phew, the after-shave he was wearing was a bit off though!! It's amazing how many rushes we have because we haven't planted any, where on earth do they come from. We still have so many more, I suppose you just keep pulling them out?? Any advice on that one? It was fascinating poking through all the rubbish, weed and roots on the side of the pond and just looking at all the life that is there both large and small. I love it and could waste quite a few hours just watching.
More has been done to "the room" today and I think most of the painting is finished. We have to stain/oil the timber and also the floor and tile the bathroom, but as it is, should anyone arrive unexpectedly, they would be able to sleep in there. I have to say, it is the most beautiful room for light, amazing in the evening because the sun sets and shines through one of the big windows. I can't wait to be able to use it all the time. Oh dear, I'm sure I have said this before, I'm getting rather repetative (is that how you spell that?) I'm going on rather a long time now so I had better go and catch up with other people's blogs. Talk again soon, goodnight from us and goodnight from Smokey.

5 comments:

aims said...

Oh Hazel! I laughed with delight when I saw the picture of your dad and Smokey! What a delight. He does look quite loving and so relaxed with you.

I believe he is there to stay...

I hope you will give us pics of the baskets once they are done - even if they aren't yours...

Don't worry about being repetitive.

You might ask Debs at The Lehners in France if her Bob knows the answer to aging a cat. He's a vet.

dND said...

Hazel, he is just so cute. If you are taking him to be neutered don't forget to ask the vet to scan him for a microchip first as well as ask if he has any idea of the age.

If there is no chip then it would be difficult for anyone to prove ownership, if he is chipped then you can track the owner before paying to have him neutered.

acrossthepond said...

Just popped over from Canada. I haven't had chance to read much of your blog, but I have to say any blog that features a cat pulls at my heart strings! You have to wonder how life works when you loose one dear cat and a BEAUTY lands on your door step looking for a home shortly after.....meant to be! You can tell the age of a cat by it's teeth also, if it has all it's teeth and the build up of tar-tar. Good luck. I hope you get to keep him. I shall be back to see more photo's!

Clare said...

The room is looking great but I stll can't understand why that won't be your Master and you have it as it is so clearly the best room in the house?
Love You - sorry I haven't been on for ages but work is just crazy
Clare
xx

Vixbil said...

Agree with dnd on the chip thing, and it is neutered. Love the pic of grampie with Smokey they both look really cute
xx