Friday 26 September 2008

Into the Lions Den

Just a short post today, but I thought I would give all my family and friends at home, also anyone else reading this who can relate to my tale, a really good chuckle. I even called my mum and dad and my poor dad nearly peed his pants he was laughing so much. I told them that I have now been accepted into the village because I had just come back from a tupperware party held at the mayor's mother's house!! Tupperware is really "the thing" over here in France at the moment, and when I was living in the UK, it was "the thing" in the 80's and I have a cupboard full and probably a couple of suitcases full as well. After running to the loo a few times in the afternoon, I finally plucked up courage and made the walk to Josette's. I couldn't even say the car broke down because she only lives next door; a little walk, perhaps 100 yards, but nevertheless it seemed miles to me that afternoon. I knew there was no-one there who could speak english so I learned how to introduce myself, say I was Josette's neighbour, pleased to meet them etc. After that I was stuck. I understood a fair bit but just couldn't get the sentances together to have a good old gossip and it is so annoying. Roll on the next french lesson.


It turned out to be a very pleasant couple of hours and they certainly had fun and laughed a lot, perhaps at me, I don't know, but they were desperate to include me in everything. When leaving I was told there was to be another type of party next month, so we'll see!! I had never heard of this one so perhaps I should just go along to check it out. Hopefully after that experience I may have earned a few brownie points just for walking into the lions den.


Talk again soon everyone, the Archers has finished, everything is shut up for the night so it must be time for my book.

4 comments:

softinthehead said...

I can imagine that was very daunting but nice that you were invited and well done for going. Next time won't be as scary.

apple tree quilter said...

Trying again to comment. Dreaming in a foreign language is the first sign that you are speaking the language instead of translating from English. Weird when it happens.

Vixbil said...

Well done you for going, I am really proud!!!
You can always have your own card party, they'd buy just so they wouldn't be embarrassed even if they don't ever send cards...tee hee
xx
love you

apple tree quilter said...

Vicki, you remind me so much of Robbin!