Monday 8 September 2008

A surprise for the sisters

We have just had Richard's 2 sisters here for lunch and the eldest of them lives in London and has only had a short stay over here, so it was really good to be able to show her what we have been doing to the house. We told them we had a surprise for them and they just didn't know what to expect. Well................. to say they were pleased was an understatement.

While we were back in the UK last time, we were going through some boxes that we still have in store at Clare and Kenny's house up in their attic. There are things like old family photographs etc. but there was also a very old tin which had an old cine tape in it. We brought it downstairs and Kenny and Richard looked at it but we couldn't tell what it was, so thought nothing more about it. When Richard was at my dad's birthday party (you know the one I couldn't go to!!) Richard was asked to go into another room as Kenny had something to show him. Would you believe that he had sent off this film, only about 40 seconds of it, and it was the marriage of Richard's parents!! I'm not sure you can imagine the reaction of Richard's sisters when they saw this, but Kenny, if you are reading this, they have looked at it over a dozen times so far and Sue recognized more people than we did. We can't thank you enough for doing this for us, especially as we had no idea it was being done. How lucky are we to have such a thoughtful son-in-law. I know it is his business, but to see what he can do with old photos, negatives and slides is just amazing. Let's face it, my sister and I wouldn't have had such a lovely gift to give to my dad if it hadn't been for his expertise. We also showed Sue and Judy a lot of old photographs which Kenny had put on a disc for us, so now Sue has taken her discs back to London with some wonderful memories of her parents.

It is very hot today and Richard is sanding the floor in "the room" reading for staining and polishing, then it is moving my sewing cupboard in there!! I will take some photos when it's in situ. I can't wait because now there are a lot of things I could make for the house, curtains, cushion covers etc and it means I can have my sewing maching available at all times. Actually, forget the curtains and cushion covers, I really, really, really want to get back to my quilting. If my friend Sharlene is reading this, she will completely understand.

On another subject completely, I bought some leek plants at the market today, so when it cools down a bit I am going to have a go at planting them. Never done this before and I have read that I make a hole with a dibber, place the plant in, water but don't fill in the hole ??? Strange but there you go, that was in my Country Living magazine which my lovely daughter buys for me as a Christmas gift. Is there anything nicer than having a monthly magazine plop through your letterbox for a whole year? Christmas for 12 months......... bliss. Must go, need to hoover "the room" of all the dust.

4 comments:

aims said...

Hooray! Another post from you already!

What a lovely gesture from your son-in-law. That is quite a talent isn't it!

I noted you wanted to get back to your quilting and want to give you this link to Jelleybeanangel who posts and talks about her quilting and crafting quite a bit. She's the gal who sent me the lavender Hazel. So have a peek at her blog when you get a minute or two.
She always makes me feel guilty with the amount of crafting she gets done. (perhaps she doesn't blog as much as I do?)

http://jellybeanangel.blogspot.com/

softinthehead said...

Hazel what a lovely gift. We have about a three minute cine film of our wedding which we put on video. Of course now we only have a DVD! A lovely surprise for your sisters-in-law.

Vixbil said...

Just caught up on your blog, glad they liked the movie
xx
Dad looks so cute in the pond
xx

Living the Dream said...

Hi aims, thanks for the link I will go and have a look. Yes we are very lucky with our son-in-laws.
Sith: You have your wedding on video and this is what Kenny can do, he can put videos onto DVDs. Perhaps when you are in France we could arrange something if you wanted it done?
Vicki, dad may have looked cute but he didn't smell too good!!