Tuesday 26 February 2008

The birds and the bees

Once more the weather here has been very warm and we were getting a little concerned about a problem we have in our detached barn. When we moved here it was left with an awful lot of "stuff" in there and we needed to try and clear it out. Last year we thought we would make a start with the help of a very kind neighbour. Funny really because Richard and Henri get on really well together and "chat" away and Richard doesn't speak a word of french and Henri doesn't speak english, but they are really good friends. The arms are waving and making all sorts of signs and shapes and that seems to work. Well we thought we would start at the back of the barn which was the worst, but unfortunately there was an old mattress there and when it was moved, the boys came running out rather sharpish, followed by hundreds of bees. Once things had calmed down, the bees that is, they settled quite quickly and didn't seem very aggresive, but what should we do, we obviously didn't want to kill bees. We made a few phone calls to various bee keepers but no-one was interested, so what happens? The bees get a lovely detached barn all to themselves, view of the mountains through open windows, well actually, the wall has fallen down so no windows, and freedom to come and go as they please. One of the doors has fallen off!! Anyway, I digress, on Friday, another friend came round to help because we needed to get it done before the bees come back. Do they come back? No idea. They pulled the old mattress out and there was a bale of wood shavings on it and that is where the bees nest was. It was HUGE, perfect compartments and lots and lots of honey combs which had now all dried up. I wish I had known they were there last year, though how I would have got to them I have no idea. Perhaps we should get a hive? Anyone out there got one and knows about these things? Oh well, we managed to clear the back of the barn, found a massive cart wheel, about 4 feet in diameter, metal rim with wooden spokes and hub. Superb. Anyway, that was about the best thing we pulled out of there; how is it you hear of people finding "treasures" in their barns, old cars, bikes, pictures etc. Not us, a bees nest and a cart wheel. Ho hum....

Because of the weather, all the birds, frogs, insects etc are very friendly with each other at the moment, how do these big black bees fly around one on top of the other, you think they would crash wouldn't you? Then you see these little red beetles with black spots, not ladybirds I know them, I think they call them gendarmes here, well the one in front seems to walk along, pulling the male behind her. No changes in the insect world there then!! And then, every time you look around, there are these wonderful little lizards and let's face it, they should all still be asleep, at least for a few more weeks. The blossoms are coming out, the mimosa smells divine, so what will happen when spring really comes, do they hop back for a little while, then all jump out again shouting "surprise"!! I hope you can see the lizard in the photo, he was hiding pretty well and I couldn't get too close otherwise he would have vanished. They are about 4" nose to tail, so really very small. I love them, but then I love newts in the pond as well and they are very similar. I just wish I could catch one, but they are too quick.
Well I suppose that is enough of me rabbiting on, I seem to have spouted a lot of rubbish tonight, sorry for that, but you know what it's like, once the old fingers get going it's a job to stop them.
Take care everyone and pop by and read me another day. A bientot.

4 comments:

dND said...

Hi Hazel,

I guess that they weren't honey bees if they've gone and there is no honey. I had some bees in the UK that just made a nest in the ground by the compost heap and were only there for the summer. It's nice that they've moved on of their own free will and you don't have to do anything about them.

Do you have the long bodied wasp and their nest as well? I had loads last year but got rid of their old nests once they all hatched in autumn and they've not started building new ones yet.

Old cart wheel not treasure - try buying one, I would chain it down if I were you :-D

And finally red beetles with black shapes: I have had so many here I spent quite a bit of time tracking them down. They don't seem to have any general names so they go by the name
Melanocoryphus albornaculatus
really memorable, well maybe not

Vixbil said...

I love reading your ramblings so don't stop..I rant on just as much xx

softinthehead said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. Very envious of the weather as I have just shoveled the driveway for about the tenth time this winter. It's getting old I can tell you!

aims said...

I had a bee infestation in my dining room wall and had to use a bee bomb to get them out. That was before the world took notice that bees are dying off.

I felt really bad as I shoveled out 1000's of bees and the honeycomb was full of honey...almost the whole wall was a nest - pounds and pounds of honey - all of it no good with the 3 bee bombs we had put in the wall.

I really felt bad - but I didn't know what else to do. I had to tear down the wall to get at it all. Hopefully the god of bees has forgiven me since I've apologized for it so many times over the last 12 years.