Wednesday 20 February 2008

One step forward, three steps back

I was hoping I could have taken a photo of the finished project of the filled baskets on the old cart today, but if you remember, I did make mention of my wonderful husband being known (lovingly) as a bull in a china shop, Well............. he thought he would make the cart more stable so he changed the stays keeping it up. Uh oh!!!! yep, it happened, an hour later and the whole thing collapsed, baskets, which had been made heavy so as not to move by placing very large stones in the bottom, upside down with the pansies somewhere underneath. I could have cried. We were just going out so we had to rescue the pansies, digging them out of the compost, and leaving them there until we came back. We got home early evening and it was the task of re-planting, but somehow they don't look as good. Perhaps because some of the flower heads had vanished so there didn't look as many. Give it a few days and I will try and take a photo again! I certainly didn't have the heart to take a photo of them all tipped out on the floor.

Today we were invited to a friend's house to see a couple of their magnolias which had come out, albeit early and they are fantastic. The cream one smells of lemons and they both look as though they are made of wax. So beautiful. We had a cup of tea with them and I took some rock cakes with us, a recipe of my mums, so I have a standard to live up to. I hope I did. A very pleasant couple of hours were passed with good friends, in a very beautiful garden

Our mimosa is looking really good now and still has quite a few flowers to come out, and the smell that fills the garden is amazing. I only wish I could send the "real" thing and the smell to my daughter who is feeling really unwell at the moment with a horrid cold and a very sore throat. She is going away with work at the weekend so hopefully she will be feeling better soon. Love you clarabellesprinkles.

Being here in the south-west of France, at certain times of year duck is really inexpensive and we bought some yesterday and we are going to have a go at making confit of duck. This should be quite an experience and I may take some photos later on to let you know how we have got on. I never thought I would do anything like this, but coming to live here you have to embrace the whole experience and try to live the same way as the locals. Some things we don't agree with and I'm certainly not going to go into any of those, but as they say "When in Rome...."

5 comments:

dND said...

I'm sure your pansys will recover and I'm waiting jealously to see the planted baskets. My place was stripped bare over the years that it wasn't worked by the owner, right down to the trees, only 3 oaks and a few very large poplars remaining. Thats on 11 hectares!

I must get some duck too but mine will just be for roasting and Peking duck when my daughter is here.

Your mimosa looks divine - maybe one day.........

Vixbil said...

Bless, typical dad! love you both though
xx

david mcmahon said...

Here in Australia, we are heading to autumn!!

aims said...

And we still have snow - and are expecting more - lots more yet...sigh...

I loved how you wrote today down between the two pics..very tricky - and you've just started this blogging you say??

Did you get the sweater sewn up?

Living the Dream said...

Hi aims, Did I get the sweater sewn up????? Oh if only you were closer, then it would get finished, but I'm afraid to say No, will it ever??
As for the writing in between the pics, it did it for me as it has done today and I don't know how to put it right. Gone funny today I'm afraid.
Luv Hazel
xxx