Thursday 7 February 2008

My daughter says "Don't Panic it'll be fine" It was.

Today I had a few women, who are the sewing group I belong to, come to my house for the first time. Well, if you could have seen me this morning, hoovering, dusting, moving furniture, cleaning toilets etc just for the 2 hours they were going to be here, how stupid is that?? Are we all the same or is it just me?? It was made worse of course because we are renovating our old farmhouse, but then, they have all done that so they know exactly what it is like. We shut a few doors and said, we won't let them in there. Yes, you've guessed it, they arrived and said, "Oh what a lovely house, will you show us round and tell us what you intend to do with it?" All the doors were opened, all the cobwebs from the attics pushed to one side, the holes in the stairs were avoided and it was fine. They loved it, and of course, because they have all done it, or some are still renovating, they have good ideas, so why did I worry? I have no idea, but one thing I do know, I will be exactly the same next time they come around. In all the fuss though, I forgot to take any photos of what they were making, so that will have to be next time.

While we were out yesterday, we were driving down a road and I had to do a double take looking into someones garden. You know when you think you see something and are not quite sure. Well, I asked Richard to stop and turn around so I could have another look. Quite amazing. There must have been about a quarter of an acre of snowdrops. I have the pictures here, but of course, it is nothing compared to seeing them in real life. I don't think I have ever seen so many in one place. It's funny because while we have been here, I really haven't seen many bulbs at all, not like in the UK where we all love our daffodils, tulips, snowdrops and crocus, so it was a real thrill to see these. To get these photos, I had to creep half way down the drive and this was just a few of them, there were carpets of them all nodding their little heads in the sunshine. Not sure what I would have done if someone had come to ask what I was doing. Not speaking the language, I feel a little vulnerable. You can just hear them can't you, "'Allo 'allo, what 'ave we 'ere then ?" I have 6 snowdrops out in my garden at the moment, I wonder how long it will take for them to multiply like these?

We are off to Spain tomorrow to do a bit of shopping. Nothing fancy and exciting but we will look at tiles while we are there for the kitchen, and we want some spices for making paella and I suppose we had better look at wine while we are there. Well someone has to do it!!

4 comments:

softinthehead said...

Don'torry Hazel we are all the same. But it is also fun to have an interesting project to share with everyone. I'm sure they were all suitably impressed. I am enjoying your blog, keep it up.

Debra in France said...

Hi Hazel. What a great idea to have a sewing group, are they all French or some English as well? I love going to peoples houses to do their hair, as they always say 'would you like to see the rest of the house'. Some of them have converted barns and they are stunning! It is great to get ideas for future projects. It's funny, because we are all so open with our houses over here, you would never show strangers all over your house in the UK!

aims said...

I just did exactly the same thing with 2 fellow bloggers who visited on Thursday! I don't think mine were quite as impressed as yours were tho..:)

How could you be having such warm and beautiful weather when we are having -30C!

And - off to Spain for some shopping - How I wish! Sounds so jet-setting and divine!

Living the Dream said...

Hi everyone, thank you for commenting on my blog, doesn't it make you feel good to see the comments...I'm glad you enjoy it. Debra, there are some french people in the sewing group, but I haven't met them yet, I hope to soon, it will help my french. By the way, I seem to remember looking all around your house in the UK! Was I just nosey?
Aims your house looks very impressive by the picture, can we see more?