Monday 4 February 2008

On Your Bike

When we arrived here in France we said we would try and look around the area by riding our bikes from time to time. Well we bought a couple of mountain bikes and to be honest, I have NEVER sat on anything so uncomfortable in my life. I found the damn thing so difficult to ride and the saddle..............need I say any more?? Anyway when we moved here I had brought my comfortable bike over with us but it has been in storage for a long time and the gears wouldn't work properly, I could get 1st and 3rd but no 2nd. Do you remember the type, 3-speed with a basket on the front. Wonderful. One of our friends here used to own a bike shop in the UK so I asked if there was any chance he could look at my bike for me, so he came round at lunchtime and sorted it out. He has even said that later on he will service it for me, and in return for this today, he went home happy with a rice pudding. Oh bliss, my little bike. The only downside is that I am going to have to go for bike rides now and there are a few hills round about here.
I think I said the other day that firstly I thought I had lost all my bulbs because the mice had eaten them, then I said I had found some pushing their little heads through, but today, the miniature iris are waving hello to everyone in all their glory. It only takes a few days sunshine doesn't it to make all the difference. Yesterday the weather was glorious again and in the morning the Pyrenees were being really "girlie" because they just didn't know what clothes to wear. Firstly the sun and they were in sparkly white, then a bit of a shadow and they decided to wear pinky purple, then it clouded over and they put their grey clothes on. Fascinating to watch. Anyway, back to my bulbs, I am finding more and more every day and not in places that I remember planting them.
I love this blogging, isn't it fun reading everyone's blogs, they are all so interesting, it makes me sound very boring. I have our local sewing group meeting at our house this Thursday so I will try and remember to take some "crafty" photos to show you what people are making.

3 comments:

dND said...

Have you still got your mountain bike? If so I recomend watching out for the Lidl bike week. It will happen when the weather improves and th French will be getting out on their bikes again. I bought a ladies gel saddle from them. Padded because it was gell and wide so lots of support :-D It truly made a lot of difference.

Your description or the mountains is wonderful

Robin Follette said...

The iris is lovely and very nice to see. We still have a foot of snow and won't see bare ground for about six weeks at the earliest. Nice treat!

I wish I enjoyed biking. My husband and daughter have bicycles but I don't. Maybe one of these days (when my butt is smaller and won't look hideous when I'm riding).

Susan Tuttle said...

I enjoyed a taste of France here at your blog! - a mini vacation.

Stop by sometime if you get a chance.

Susan