Sunday 30 March 2008

Clear Up and Tidy Day

Because the weather hasn't been too good lately and we haven't been able to do some of the jobs we wanted, we decided today, because the sun was shining, we would do a lot of tidying up and putting away, so that when we could get down to the serious "stuff" we would have a clear space to do things. Neither of us are very tidy I'm afraid, but Richard is a bit of a nightmare bless him. We set too and Richard cleared one of the rooms that is now going to be used as a store room for things like tins of food, wine, bottles, kitchen roll, toilet rolls etc. We did use it before but the ceiling "fell" down when he was doing the floor above it, so now we have a lovely new ceiling and no dirt can fall in so we can start using it again. Brilliant as it will free up some of my drawer space in the kitchen where I have been keeping all the tinned food, so lots of sorting out to do, but that is the fun part where I can stack and put things in order. How sad am I??

While Richard was doing that I washed out an old herb garden that I had brought with me and decided to put it together and fill all the compartments ready for the herbs that I hope to buy in the market tomorrow. I had been given some garlic chives which were desperate to be planted as you will see from the photo, but hopefully they will soon take hold and look a bit healthier. I suppose you treat them just like normal chives and just snip off the greenery? (When they are standing straight that is :-) )While doing that, the rain started which was such a shame because it had been the most beautiful morning, very warm and we sat outside and had our lunch listening to the frogs and looking at the mountains who had their very pretty dresses on today, white shimmery with just a hint of silver.

A new english person has moved into the village and is living in a caravan in the middle of his field ready to build his house. Bless him, he couldn't have chosen a worse couple of weeks to do this because you are up to your knees in mud in the field and it is so cold, especially in a caravan with no heating or anything. Anyway, we have now met him and he seems very nice, so we invited him to dinner and if he wanted, a shower. My goodness, you have never seen anyone move so quick in your life, he came down from the shower positively glowing and couldn't thank us enough. Little did we know when we did this, HE IS A BUILDER!!! Thank you God, even if we can't afford to hire him, in exchange for meals and showers, he will give us advice and help us when he can't do his own.

We looked at the weather forecast and it looks as though we are still in for more rain, our pond is now full and beginning to overflow into the field at the back. Very strange though, because the frogs are very, very loud and there are so many of them, but I can't see any frog spawn. I even telephoned my mum and dad yesterday to let them hear the frogs and they couldn't believe the noise they made. It was good to do that because I like to give them a taste of what it is like here as they have never been and probably won't now because my mum doesn't like to travel, so the more I can share with them the better it is. Well....... I wonder what tomorrow will bring......

4 comments:

Vixbil said...

Wow how amazing a builder that is English and just near you...how cool.
love you lots
xx

dND said...

I spent all last spring looking for frog spawn and despite there being myriads of frogs out there singing away, I never found any. It's a total mystery to me unless they are toads and their spawn is under the weed in the pond.

I might put my wellies and water wings on tomorrow and venture down to the pond and see if the ducks and coypu have left anything that might vaguely resemble frog spawn.

What luck to have a builder on the doorstep to offer advice although I have found that the French don't necessarily do things the way they are done in the UK and you therefore have to use different things and techniques.

I could do with a tidy up too but until the plumbing is finally fixed and the missing kitchen unit finally got for me I'm in limbo land but it will get there. I'd just like a sunny few days to get outside though but as you say it's not that likly for a few days

aims said...

Having a pantry is wonderful isn't it?

And what a wonderful way to share with your parents. What age would they be if you don't mind my asking - and if they don't too.

As for frog spawn - um...am I going to have to look it up or are you talking about tadpoles. We don't have frogs here - something I really miss along with whippoorwills...

And lastly - caravans...is that a trailer? and if so - don't they come with heat and some with bathrooms?

okay so I'm a Canadian dummy....

Living the Dream said...

Hi everyone, just thought I would reply to aims. Firstly my parents, my dad is 90 in August and my mum is 88 in October and this June they will have been married 67 years!! Quite amazing.
Frog spawn are the eggs that the frogs lay, it looks like little round jelly balls with a black spot in the middle which is the beginning of the tadpole. Now a caravan is a little trailer house that you tow with a car. They can be very primitive or quite luxurious, and this one didn't come with any heating and he has only water from a pipe outside. No cooker, fridge or anything like that, just a portable gas ring.