Thursday 27 March 2008

Planning the visit home

I was wondering whether to post or not tonight because I didn't know what I had to say, but once you get going, all sorts of things come into your head don't they? Firstly I am very excited because I have been talking with my youngest daughter about some projects we are going to work on when I go over and visit. As I have said before, she has just started coming back into craft and she is learning to knit, and we are going to have a go at knitting one of the bags from the book she bought me for mother's day. We have been really busy talking to each other on the computer in the evenings, looking at ebay and seeing what wool is on there and she has even put some bids in, something that I have never done. Hopefully, when I get over there, she will have the wool and I will take the needles and we can have some quality crafting time together. With this we can include my mum, she will love that and it will be great for 3 generations to sit together crafting. Bliss.

With my eldest daughter, it will be hanging out with the children and having fun with them. I have missed them so much this time, I can't wait to give them cuddles again. I hope they remember me when I walk through the door, I would hate it if they didn't run to me, arms open wide, but I realise I will have to give them a bit of time. I will have to be busy looking around here because when I get back, my little grandson comes to me and looks at my handbag. "What have you got in there Nannie? Can I see? Is there anything for me?" It's adorable and I started it from the first time I went back to visit, because I had hidden a little dinky toy in there for him to find. The trouble is, now I have to find 3 small pressies for them all, not so easy, but a lot of fun.

We are still planning our room, but the weather has been so bad with wind and rain that we haven't been able to do much at all. Still, at least we can get the materials in so they are ready, but it would have been good to get the walls built and windows in, because the wind blows straight through. We found this date carved in the wall and it would be good if we can incorporate it in the inside of the room. I look at this piece of carving and you have to wonder who put it there, was it a young couple just starting out their married life on this farm, were they happy, oh if only these walls could talk, there must be so much history to be told. The house was very primitive and here we are planning putting in en-suite bathrooms and the like and still the house has a lovely homely friendly feel.

The birds here are very busy at the moment going around with pieces of twigs, feathers, fur etc in their beaks ready for their nests. We have the swallows, though they have slowed down a bit during this horrid weather, and we are watching a redstart which is building in the barn and also a black redstart. I had never seen, or even heard, of one of these until I came here. A flock of goldfinches were here today and of course, every tit, especially the bluetit and the great tit. We have put fat balls all around but a couple just outside the kitchen window and it is just wonderful to watch them. Not a very good photo because of taking it into the light, but you get the idea.
I am really surprised I haven't seen a hedgehog here, I always look when we come in if it's dark, but nothing so far. Fingers crossed though. Well.... I didn't have a lot to say and look what's happened. Thank you for dropping by, talk again another day.

6 comments:

Clare said...

Can't wait to see you! Not sure how good I will be at the bag making though - but we will give it a try
Love you
Clare xxx

dND said...

Hedgehogs - sadly I usually see them squashed on the roads but I did come across a very light coloured one in the middle of one of my fields last year. It was light enough that I was worried a buzzard might see it and eat it, so I brought it back to the garden. I've not seen it since but occasionally do spot some hedgehog droppings

Vixbil said...

love you

XUE said...

Hi there! I came over from visiting Clare's blog. What a wonderful, loving, close-knit family! I will be visitng you both evry now & then!

aims said...

Well Hazel - The knitting group sounds like my cup of tea. I use to teach knitting and having everyone around with their hot drinks and their needles clacking was absolutely wonderful. Just like a bunch of old hens - really!

Back in Ontario there are tons of woolen mills....anything like that around there? Or around your daughters? You can get some incredible yarn and fantastic deals from those kind of places.

My knitting room is bursting at the seams with yarn. I'm lucky with the little family run woolen mill close by. That way I have some pure wool to knit with. But it's the unusual stuff that can only be acrylic that is hard for me to find here. Still - when I see a sale - and some I get emailed to me direct from the companies - I load up. The Man just groans when another box comes into the barn.... :0)

Vicky T said...

Looking forwards to seeing you soon - my dolly has really grown now - its so exciting as ive got even more dresses to try now!