Tuesday 4 March 2008

The Wanderer Returns


Well Marmalade finally decided to come home, though it took her a long time, she finally arrived back at 8am the next morning. She certainly gave us a worrying time, though she seems OK. As I write this, she is curled up on the sofa so obviously feeling quite settled again and has forgiven us for taking her to the vet! When she came home yesterday, she had something to eat so at least she has had her medication, but she still didn't want to stay indoors, much as I tried, so, with it being a lovely warm day, I put her box and little bed outside in the sunshine and she settled there. Phew!! After a friend spoke to the vet, the prognosis isn't great, this is going to be a recurring problem and it may not be worth operating again, so we shall enjoy her while we have her. The last operation she had was just over a year ago, so we have a while yet.

Richard has been getting on really well with the mud walling and is now ready to put mud on top of the bricks. Not able to do it today though because we are having very strong gales, hail, snow and rain. Very bizarre because it was shorts and t-shirt weather yesterday. The sound of the wind as I write this is very scarey. I really don't like the wind, the cold is OK, quite normal for this time of year, but the wind does so much damage. The "bricks" you see here are the mud bricks that were in the fireplace, huge things, but good we can re-use them to be traditional. We then "mud" over them, so you don't see the bricks at all. He has done very well for a first time.

Strange having this weather today because it is usually, red sky at night, shepherd's delight. This was the sky last night. Well we will see what tomorrow brings........
I have been looking through my 25 bags to knit book and I have written a list of wools that I need, they are all Rowan wools, so expensive of course, I will have to look out for some, perhaps on ebay or in the sales. Do Rowan ever have cheap wool, probably not. Ho hum.....

5 comments:

dND said...

Oh, I'm so glad Marmalade has returned safely.

The weather was a bit chilly and windy today wasn't it. I've had a bit of a down day so slept the afternoon and when I went to check the chickens found that we'd had a hailstorm. Snow is predicted for the Pyrenees too so they should be looking even lovelier for you.

Is aims coming over? I'm entranced by her story.

Living the Dream said...

Do you know aims? I haven't even read the whole of her story but yes, it's brilliant. I didn't realise it was her life story!! I would love to meet her. Sorry you are feeling down today, if you want to chat, send me an email.
Take care
Hazel
xx

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Living the dream sounds fantastic and I hope it doesn't become a nightmare.

I've put you in my news reader so I can come back often and find out :-)

aims said...

I'd love to come over - (why are you gals talking about me??)

Hazel - you do not have to use Rowan yarns - you just need a wool of the same weight - such as 2ply or sport or whatever it calls for.

I live by a woolen mill where they do mostly 2 ply or a weight they use to call double knitting...Have you by chance looked at any of my posts under knitting?

If someone wants to pay for my flight now.....hmmmmmmm

dND said...

Hi Hazel (and Rob and Aims)

I just re-read your post re the prognosis. From the little experience I have of the vets here, the French are more willing to 'put down' animals than in the UK. I do know of a British vet who I'm sure would advise you if you wanted, just e-mail me if you want the link to her. She's based around Agen.

Thanks for you good wishes, I'm getting back up to something resembling speed here, it just seems to take a bit longer these days