Monday 24 March 2008

More on the Living Fences

Thank you all of you for commenting on our Living Structure Day and asking more about it. I will try and be brief, but there is some brilliant information on this site. We prepared the site by putting down a weed suppressant (not a clue how to spell that), and then cut the outside "stays". These were thicker than the other ones and if I remember rightly they were planted 45cm apart. This was done by making a hole with a metal rod, and pushing them into the ground to about 30cm, then bashing the ground with a hammer to firm all the soil around them. Talk about easy planting!! This created the main shape, then we got thinner ones to plant in between, same method and we put 2 in the one hole between the bigger ones, and arranged them each way so as they crossed on the main uprights. You tied these where they crossed and then you had fun weaving them in and out. Perhaps if you clicked on the photo on yesterday's blog, you would get a closer look. Otherwise, the site I have said above, shows you some pictures. I just can't wait to see it when it has grown. It only takes a few weeks because willow takes almost immediately and it will start leafing very soon.

I thought I would also show you that I have finished my grandson's cardigan. I say finished, I just need to get some buttons to put on so I may need another trip to the wonderful shop I was taken to last Thursday. I know, I know, but someone has to do it. I have to say though that I'm not happy with the end result at all, seems rather a funny shape and not a good pattern to follow. Still, at least it's done. One UFO out of the way. (Unfinished Object) - I seem to have a lot of those. I have now found a jumper I started for myself at least 10 years ago!! Has anyone else got any of those or is it just me? I looked at the pattern and luckily it would still look OK today, whether or not I will be able to get into it is another thing!! Perhaps if I flatten my boobs a bit, suck in the stomach and walk as though I have piles, it might work. At least it will give me something to do in the evenings while listening to the radio.
Well I hope you all had a very happy and peaceful Easter, this was my first one without any of my family, so very strange, but hey! we did it. Talk to you all again soon.

4 comments:

Vixbil said...

I'd love to see you walking like you have piles in the slightly to tight jumper...can't wait to see Bubbs!
Love you
xx

aims said...

I had a close look at the pic of the cardigan...nice job sewing up btw...but is that a set-in sleeve done in a different manner - or is that the way you folded the sweater?

Living the Dream said...

Hi aims, who knows, I just know it isn't as I thought it would be. It is a set in sleeve and it is folded on itself, but I could have done with you being here to put it right. It's done and that's the main thing. Would I do that pattern again, No! I know I have said this before, but I wish I knew you better?
Love Hazel
xxxx

aims said...

:0) - The door of the big blue barn is always open if you ever come this way!

And - if I ever make it to France - I'm hunting you down.