Friday 14 March 2008

The floor is finished - YAY!

I have no idea where the time has gone since I last posted, but somehow, I've lost it. I have been reading other peoples postings, mainly because it is difficult to go through a day when I can't, too addictive, but just haven't got round to doing my own. We have been really busy and laying the floor to our "guest suite", how posh does that sound?? and Richard and our friend finished it today. They have done a wonderful job and it looks fantastic, so now we can start putting in the walls and windows etc and it will begin to look like a room. Then it will be planning the bathroom etc. All the time they have been laying the floor I have been having to paint the floorboards with woodworm "stuff" to stop them nibbling away at our new boards. Luckily the weather has been superb today, I even got a bit burned, so I was able to do this outside, otherwise I may have ended up high with the fumes. It got a bit frantic in the end I was having a job to keep up with their demand, so my poor little arm was having to go faster and faster. No matter, it's done. We think we are going to dry-line the walls because the originals are so bad, it's a shame not to keep them traditional but needs must. That way, we can hide the plumbing and electrics behind it. Not all the walls will be plaster board, and we have eaves and beams showing, so that should be good.



While I was clearing away all the tools etc and watering the plants I came across this stunning little tree frog and he was kind enough to stay still long enough for me to take a couple of photos. I took one close up because he is so beautiful and another one so you can see just how small he is. This is mainly for the benefit of my grandson, so enjoy little man, with love from nannie. I love you very much. xxxxx You will have to see if you can spot the frog near the pansies.









We take Marmalade back to the vet tomorrow to have her checked over, but I'm not sure she is a particularly happy cat at the moment. She desperately wants to be loved and she tries so hard, but then she gives you such a bite. I wonder what has happened to her before we came here, what a shame she can't talk, she must have so many stories she could tell. I often think that about animals. Talking of the vet, I was very proud of myself today when I telephoned them to make an appoinment. I much prefer to do this face to face because I can sign language, but that doesn't come over very well on the phone. Well I was doing OK until they asked what I was taking her for and I have no idea how to say "For a check up after her operation". So I stumbled a bit and spoke in english and we both gave up and he gave me the time for tomorrow and I'm not even sure I have that right. Ho hum, the sooner I go for these wretched french lessons the better, it is so frustrating.

Not sure whether or not I will post again tomorrow because it is our 39th wedding anniversary and we are going out in the evening to a St Patrick's night "DO". It is also the anniversary of the death of my father-in-law, so we will be drinking to absent friends as well. If he is watching us, as I'm sure he is, he will be having a knees up with us at the "DO". God bless you Pa, we miss you.

5 comments:

dND said...

Wow, you have been busy and aren't those little tree frogs lovely. I'm hoping mine comes back this year.

The weather's been lovely up the road here today as well, 20°C in the shade, just like a UK summer.

Have a great anniversary,

Deborah x

Vixbil said...

Happy anniversary moomin and doomin, we love you lots
xxxxx

aims said...

39 years - Wow! and now living your dream...that is so wonderful Hazel. It is not something that happens as often as it use to - isn't that sad?

Now - don't worry about picking up the French - it will come with time - and you won't even notice.

Clare said...

Happy Anniversary from me too Mum & Dad. I am even further away at the moment that I usually am (so sorry about the time difference, but I will try to call you tomorrow)
Love you and have a lovely day
Clare xxx

softinthehead said...

Well I'm very envious, envious of your weather! , envious of your house progress, just plain envious! I so want to be in a warm France fixing up my house, instead I am in snowy Canada selling other people houses.